Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Rowing Week 2 :: Corduroy


Corduroy (40th Anniversary Edition)

I'm feeling very off with my posts and with my school week really. We went to my parents to celebrate Christmas with my whole family this past weekend, 30 people, over half of them 5th grade and under. Since we could we took The Classical School of Wiedz on the road and finished our school week at grammie's so I could help my mom get ready for a houseful. 

With so many other options (no cousins yet, I'm not that crazy) at Grammie's the little boys weren't really interested in rowing this week but I tried to sneak some things in when they were needing a little direction. So we finished up a lot of our activities for this book today...we'll start another book tomorrow.


Arts and Crafts:

Before we even got started, it was time to make Veteran's Day cards. I've tried to make thank you cards each year for the special veterans in our lives. One year we finger painted the stars and stripes - but I'm not crazy so we cut stripes and did stickers this year.




Lacing and sewing: 

Since Lisa sews a button on Corduroy's overalls at the end of the book I thought the kids would enjoy getting out our lacing cards. We were given these as a gift when #1 was little and after I got tired of picking up and de-tangling and untying a clump of strings I put them away...like 5 years ago. Everyone enjoyed having these out. I'm definitely putting them away again so they'll take such good care of them and really lace the cards when they do see them again!




"Lapbook" or Scrapbook Activities:


Over at Homeschool Share they have a bunch of lapbook projects. I printed off ones I thought would be fun and we colored, cut, glued, visited, worked, concentrated. I'm not sure what I'll do with all these projects we do. I am thinking that a scrapbook of their year "rowing" these books would be great with the crafts/activities that we can keep along with the pictures I take of us doing them.

Now that I'm looking at the pictures I realize that #4 liked doing all the coloring pages and having his picture taken while #3 didn't so much. We eventually got his work done but I had to sit right with him to do each piece...no pictures were taken. I try to be real flexible with this stuff with them. The idea is more to get some reading done and have a plan, if they aren't interested in something then we save it for later or skip it altogether.



Gummi Bear Math:

I purchased gummi bears at Costco before leaving for Grammies and we did have some there while reading our story one day but today I thought we needed some more. We were going to read while we ate but suddenly I thought we could sneak in a little math while we were at it. #1 helped me with #4 so we sorted our sacks into colors then we graphed how many bears we had of each color. We talked about our bears and compared which colors had more or less, who had more red ones, how the green ones and yellow ones matched. 

Then we ate.



Resources:

Delightful Learning - Corduroy (oh, I wish she'd have posted before I rowed this one...her ideas are awesome. Love love love the paper mache piggy bank!)

Next row: Play With Me

No comments: