Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

Rowing :: Gingerbread Baby

Gingerbread Baby

Really we "rowed" this book the week before the week before Christmas (the 13th-17th). It was my way of easing into Christmas break. It is a fun book which we've owned for a couple of years and enjoy getting out every Christmas/Winter time.

Jan Brett is an awesome storyteller and illustrator, we were introduced to her books when #1 was in kindergarten and have tried putting together a collection since then. This is a great re-telling of the classic "can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man" story.

I commented one of the first times we ever read this book about how much I love that blue bowl on the cover and am so sad over it's fate...this comment is brought up EVERY time we read the book now. 

Seatwork ::

I printed a bunch of the stuff homeschool creations put together and spread it out over the week. Sequencing, patterns, letter practice, coloring, narration. There was SO much in that pack!




This was a gingerbread baby puzzle...roll the dice to see which piece you get.

Making it for everyone ::

#2 did our Gingerbread Baby seatwork with us unless it was just too easy. He also did addition practice and free reading.

#1's focus for the week was review of our grammar so far this year and review/practice multiplication. She sat with us to read Gingerbread Baby each day but didn't do any of the extra activities.

Each day #1 found and listed parts of speech from the book: adjectives, adverbs, prepositions...


Didn't relate but fit with our history ::

Completely unrelated to Gingerbread Baby was our read aloud this week, Percy Jackson and the Olympians : The Lightening Thief. We'd worked on Greek Mythology through the fall and I thought this would be a fun way to end that unit.

Links ::
Gingerbread Baby pack

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Hi! We got your card:) I'm a blogger too - heart it!

I think I put my blog on the bottom of the letter, but it was an addition that some got and some didn't:)

So hopefully you can go to mine from here if you want!

Can't believe you have four boys now:) Of course beautiful Shelby too!

We love Gingerbread Baby and got the second one this year too...

Well, take care and I'll check up on you here from now on:) Yay!