Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Canning Pears {and best friends}

Quite a few weeks ago my cousin and I went to the orchard to pick pears. I only got one picture that day because I held her adorable littlest man while she and the other 6 children picked pears. And it was 98 degrees out. And we chose to go when it was 3 o'clock in the afternoon.

But Scary and the children were able to pick 140 pounds of pears which Scary and I split between us. They were still quite green so I put them in the garage with another box on top (so #5 wouldn't take one bite out of each of them) to let them ripen. And I canned peaches. And tomato sauce. And kept up with school. And got really tired.

So we started smelling the pears, but I didn't care. No day worked out as a good pear canning day. And Mr. Wiedz would come in and tell me how ripe the pears were getting..."you need to do something with those pears." Yes. Yes, I know. I don't want to.

Photobucket

Enter September 30th. One day until my #2's birthday and the birthday party two hours away to celebrate with family and #4 whose birthday is the next day. I was thinking about those pears in the back of my mind, they weren't going to last another weekend but I wasn't going to be home and I had a friend coming to visit that day and so many other things that I could be doing. So in a little way I was resigning myself to giving those pears to the chickens.

But that friend arrived and during the course of normal conversation the pears came up. She'd already gotten her pears up and I mentioned that I just wasn't going to be able to get mine done when she said the most AMAZING thing. "I'll help you."

Photobucket

Even though I couldn't ask her to do that that was exactly what she did. And she didn't really just help me, she canned all 70 pounds of my pears with a tiny bit of help from me. She got 17 quarts of pears done before she left.

AMAZING!

Photobucket

On another AMAZING, and I'm blessed beyond belief matter, my mother came last week and folded all of the socks in my home. All of them. 2 baskets full (I hate folding socks).

Pears and socks...does it get any better than that?

No comments: