Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Project :: Coming Home Outfits

Photobucket

For the first time ever I didn't find out the gender of my baby. Every pregnancy so far I've gone to the 18-week ultrasound, found out the gender, then headed straight to Target for a coming home from the hospital outfit. This time I thought it would be fun to be surprised.

And it is fun.

It is also more work.

Right when I found out I was pregnant I found this pattern for the puerperium sweater...and fell in love. I cast on right away in an adorable pink yarn that my mom had given me with a wide purple stripe. I blogged about just the sweater quite awhile ago. I figured I could find a pair of pants to go with the sweater. Then I knit the booties (ravelry link). Then I figured the best outfit would be with little baby pants I made myself.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I realized if baby *was* a boy I'd feel forever guilty about having a whole handmade outfit for a girl baby but an afterthought outfit for a boy. So...

Photobucket

I cast on for another puerperium in a blue yarn that my mom had also given me (basically she gave me a whole bag of Belle Organic Amy Butler DK - I've used a lot of it...love it, though it does untwist quite a bit). I messed up and had to frog the whole thing at one point but puerperium's knit up so quickly that I was able to finish the whole thing in a couple of days (gotta love vacation knitting) and I was so glad I ripped out instead of just making it work. In my first puerperium I did a stripe in the middle of the sweater which made my yarn go farther...this one, I used nearly every inch of the yarn. I got to the sleeve edging and had plans to use a lighter blue...Mr. Wiedz suggested the same green I had used on my cowl and hat (still need to blog about those with proper pictures). It was perfect! My mom brought buttons to dig through when she came last weekend and I found the PERFECT ones!

Photobucket

Add some adorable, easy baby dino pants and I've got a coming home outfit for a boy and a cleared up case of future mommy-guilt. I have plans for using the same green yarn for a pair of booties and a hat (which can and will work for a girl baby too).

No comments: