Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Mr. Wiedz: Karma

I had the opportunity to have lunch with the children today. I sat on the curb at Subway today and waited for the family to arrive. As the old suburban pulled up and stopped, the children poured out of the vehicle like ants floating on a piece of chicken sinking into the water, trying not to drown. Ok, bad analogy, anyhow, they jumped out into my arms, into the parking lot, careless, carefree, priceless smiles. Their was once a time when I would see the family and get so stressed out than I would growl and pick at Mrs. Wiedz and the kids, but not today.

Anyhow, something very unique happened as I held little Bro.bro in my arms, bro bro hanging on my legs. As we walked in, a young man, not more than 16 opened the door for me and the children. Now take a moment, think about what I just said, a brain dead kid, 16 years old, opened the door for me as I held to children, politely offered to let us go first in line, then sat in line and waited. Normally, in this circumstance, it seems as if it is a race to cut in front of the family.

Anyhow, the children and I politely moved forward, ordered our 6 sandwiches, enjoyed our time in line, while this kid, likely on his 30 minute lunch break patiently waited, no complaints, no foul looks, no comments, just waited. I thought for a minute, "What is wrong with this kid"? They simply don't come this way anymore. So I thought, I am going to buy this kid lunch. A trivial gesture, but nice none the less.

He ordered his $5.00 foot long special, likely saving his pennies. The cashier said, 6 sandwiches, 5 bags of chips, two soda's, 4 cups of water, and I interrupted. "Please add this young man's sandwich behind me, and make it a meal"!. I herd a sigh, briefly looked back, smiled, and said thank you. The look on his face was priceless. The cashier looked up and said "if that's not Karma, I don't know what is". I chuckled, and again thanked him for simply opening the door, graciously, no strings attached.

I paid $31.50 for lunch at Subway with a smile on my face. When was the last time somebody did something nice for you. No, not mom or dad, your best friend, or a co-worker. A complete stranger, furthermore, you noticed. This said, this is less about the stranger, and more about you. The point of this post is to challenge you to pay attention. Pay attention to the little things, and respond with a nice gesture. It seems that as the days go buy, we get so caught up in our daily activities, focused on what we do, our daily lives, and don't recognize the little things. I am not saying I do this right very often, furthermore, this is the first time I have recognized such gesture in 10 years. That said, it sure felt good to watch this young man act selflessly, and it felt good to reward him, see his smile, here his sincere, gracious, thank you.

Be safe,

Mr. Wiedz

We see that every external motion, act, gesture, whether voluntary or mechanical, organic or mental, is produced and preceded by internal feeling or emotion, will or volition, and thought or mind.

No comments: