Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Science Sunday: Science Factory

If there is one thing I've "failed" at this year, it would be science. We started ok with an animal unit. Reading about a different family of animals each week, getting support books from the library, making a narration page, coloring a picture (can I just say how awesome goggle is...just add "coloring pages" to anything and you get so much!), and adding a miniture picture to our animal classification poster. After 12 weeks or so though we were ready to be done.

I had plans to do an anatomy unit next and a garden/nature unit this spring. Then my friend and I decided to do anatomy next year with Apologia, kind of co-op style. I'm excited about the Apologia books, I think it will be a great science and I know my kids will enjoy meeting with their friends to do the work. But instead of skipping only the anatomy section of my plan...I kind of let the whole science thing slide.

The thing is...my kids LOVE science. Each week they would beg for it. They missed it. And I felt guilty that they had no science.

So I've been trying to work it back in. I've used some of the plans I already had for the nature/garden unit, and we're planning on a science fair #1 is putting together (more on that later), and to fill in I found a Girl Scout badge with lots of science experiements we're working through.

I'm going to use Sundays to record our science adventures. First up, The Science Factory.

The Science Factory is a local hands-on museum-like place. Mr. Wiedz's Aunt and Uncle got our family a membership for Christmas and a few weeks ago I took the kids for the morning. We had a fun morning and can't wait to go back.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

Anne said...

I am so excited! I just got a membership on livingsocial.com that allows me free admission into the Science Factory! My girls love science and we've been taking advantage of the free textbook at http://pgcounty.scottforesman.com/ They love talking about science and finding little experiments to do at home, but I think the Science Factory will be a GREAT addition to our homeschool curriculum!