Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2012

History is Alive :: Battle Flags

I'm was thinking July may have to be the month I catch up...but it looks like it'll take me all summer since I don't even write up my catch-up posts as often as I intended! I looked over my list of things I wanted to write about, share here, document and remember. I'm behind. I always say {at least to myself} that I will be more consistent. Perhaps it just is what it is and I won't worry about it but with no journal and no scrapbook, this space is where I keep track of most of our goings-on...so I'll catch up.

We are in the heat of summer, which I really don't like, last year we started school by now just so we could be inside instead of out in the heat. I'm trying to get ready for the school year still, haven't bought books yet. Haven't gotten the room ready. I'm making lists but at this point I think they are just making me overwhelmed instead of helping anything. But school will start whether I've gotten everything on my list done or not, whether the pinterest (go ahead and follow me - I find some cool things) ideas stay on my board or make it into my actual school and whether I feel ready or not.

Now, here's a post about our battle flags all the way from April...

Photobucket

We talked about France and England at war in our history lesson. This included Joan of Arc. During the wars the soldiers fought under a battle flag so we drew our own battle flags. The activity booksuggested picking a symbol that represents you. We just drew ours on water color paper that I cut up into smaller pieces, I wanted them to be substantial and compact so they would be purposeful about what they drew.

Photobucket

Photobucket
#2 couldn't decide on one element so he decorated both sides and they both fit him *so* well! A scene from Mario Bros and a baseball diamond. I love how they both turned out and the time and effort he put into them.
Photobucket
#4's. I have no idea what it is anymore. He might have told me...hopefully I wrote it down somewhere so when I put them into the scrapbook I can write it down. It is cute though...just like him.
Photobucket
#3's I can't remember anymore either. Though it looks like his sketch has a bit more detail. Drawing isn't really his thing but he tried hard and I love it.
Photobucket
Mine, tee hee, a book, my kids and knitting. The things I enjoy.

No comments: