Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2008

cannin: done...well, I think

I finished all the fruit I have picked. I got 37 quarts of pears, 26 quarts of peaches, 7 quarts of pickles, 5 quarts and 5 pints of applesauce. I did not really enjoy canning season this year. I'm grateful for the fruit in the basement. (We moved it all downstairs so we could have the dining room table back.) I am grateful that this winter I'll be able to pull up a jar or two and have fruit with our meals. It was a lot of work this year and I'm mostly grateful that it is over.

I've been brewing a sore throat the last couple of days and today was the worst of it but I finished the last 7 quarts of peaches then spent the rest of the day relaxing. Mr. Wiedz was perfect; cooking, keeping the kids occupied and taking care of me.#1 helped today. I had been thinking about the whole "passing it on" concept of canning with this season. I remember my mom canning when I grew up. But I did not learn canning from her. I learned when I was an adult and after I had kids. Canning isn't such a process for letting kids help with but it is something I wanted her to do with me. So today she took the skin off after I cut and pitted the peach, then she gave it back for me to slice and jar. It was a little slower but I was happy to have her with me.

*The only thing I still want to do is apple pie filling and I will probably do some more applesause but I like to think I'm done.

No comments: